Monday, October 28, 2013

On Blogging

So I've been thinking about blogging.  I've just gotten started with this genre of writing and, of course, I have discovered that the technology is a hang-up for me.  Honestly, I'm surprised by this.  I know. At my age, I should expect that I don't know everything about technology.  For a long time, I kept up.  I had my first email account when they were still working with a C prompt and 8 digit file names (1992, I think).  I did grad work on writing and technology.  I actually published a couple of articles about using technology in writing classrooms.  But technology has moved on, and I just spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out how to make the technology side of this work.  I'm not sure I'm there yet. 

The other side of blogging is the actual writing aspect.  What does one put in a blog?  Someone told me: "Whatever you want."  It's surprising how little that helps me.  I really need to know what other people are doing with blogs.  Maybe so I can do the same thing.  At least for a while.  Or maybe so I'll know what boundaries to push.  Yeah, I'm a boundary-pusher.  But I'm a stealth boundary-pusher.  So don't let it get around.  It seems to me that the point of a blog--right now, right here, for me--is to try out some writing and to see what happens.  That's good enough for now.  Now if only I could get the technology to cooperate.

1 comment:

  1. So, read other blogs. You should read Loren's, she has three that she actually blogs on, I think. Also read famous people's blogs. John Scalsi has a good one, and I like Jim Hines too. Gaiman, of course is good. Plus, Kacey and Holly both have blogs too. And if you look at their blogs, you can see what blogs they read.... There you go.

    ReplyDelete